Magnified Societies: Q Soc

Rory Codd meets with Kyle Chambers, a member of the Q Soc committee, to discuss the society’s plans for the year and its biggest annual event

trinity-life

“We’re also the most active society on campus, as we have coffee hours every day and we arrange three events every week.”
Q: Could you introduce yourself and outline your role in Q Soc?

A: “I’m Kyle and I’m the Inclusion Officer. Basically that means I’m in charge of making sure that everyone in the society is comfortable and happy to be in the room. So if they just want to meet up during the coffee hours to make friends or to go out to some event with people once in awhile, I can facilitate that. I make sure that the Q Soc people have fun.”

Q: For those who may not know much about it, could you sum up Q Soc in a couple of sentences?

A: “We’re the LGBT+ society on campus, so everything that’s considered ‘queer’ we try to include and encompass. We’re also the most active society on campus, as we have coffee hours every day and we arrange three events every week.”

Q: Q Soc have had an array of events since the start of the year, many of which were during Freshers’ Week. What for you was the highlight of those events, and why?

A: “I’d say it was Club Philth. It was such a big event, it was great getting to work with other societies, and it was nice to have an event that was queer-friendly, because that’s not always the case. It was definitely my favourite event, but I also enjoyed all the other events during Freshers’ Week.”

Q: Does Q Soc have anything planned for Halloween this year?

A: “We do! It’s a big secret, but it’s going to be a lot of fun and we’re still working on it.”

“We have our own contingent in Pride, so we march and all members of the society are welcome to join that.”
Q: What would you say is the biggest event in the Q Soc calendar?

A: “I think it’s changed over the last couple of years, but I’d say right now that it’s definitely Queer Prom. It’s an initiative that we started last year. We host it in the dining hall and invite loads of other colleges. We’ve been able to get other colleges on board, so now it’s going to be an intervarsity event.”

Q: All the societies in Trinity have at least one major event during the year. What is it about Queer Prom that makes it a must-go for students?

A: “It sold out first and it’s one of the few events that is an Irish event, not just a Trinity event. As well as that, it’s not just people you know, that you see day-in-day-out, it’s strangers and new friends.”

Q: Pride is always a massive event in Dublin, especially among students. Does Q Soc get involved?

A: “Yes, we have our own contingent in Pride, so we march and all members of the society are welcome to join that. What we usually do is we meet up in the Q Soc room in House 6 in the morning and we have face-painting, music, tea and coffee and lots of nice treats. Then we all march together, and it’s a really nice day for everyone.”