TCDSU president Kieran McNulty no longer running for USI

The SU president announced on January 24 he would run for the Vice President of Campaigns position

TCDSU President Kieran McNulty has announced that he will not be running for the Union of Student’s Ireland (USI) Vice President of Campaigns position.

In an email sent to Trinity News, McNulty stated that his decision not to run was based on the USI campaign interfering with his current work within the SU: “Running an election during my work as TCDSU President would take away from my work and as such, I do not want to run in an election during my term.”

.

Additionally, McNulty has received a place to study a Masters of Law (LLM) in Human Rights at Queen’s University Belfast (QUB), and will be starting the course next year.

.

The current SU president announced his candidacy for the USI campaign on January 24, at SU Council. At the time, he had pledged to campaign on issues of access and education funding, alongside the movements for repealing the 8th Amendment and the student accommodation crisis, should he be elected.

.

USI elections take place on March 28, with nominations still open until February 20.

Niamh Moriarty

Niamh is a Senior Freshman Political Science, Philosophy and Economics student. She is current digital editor for Trinity News.