What’s on in Dublin this weekend

Dublin will be alight with various festivals and events this September to welcome you to the city.

Culture Night

Friday September 22 is Culture Night, a nationwide celebration of Irish arts and culture. Events will take place all evening all over the city , from the Abbey Theatre to Áras an Uachtaráin, some of which will be in Irish. The entire city will be buzzing with plays, concerts and exhibitions as venues and public spaces open their doors to host a program of free entertainment.

One interesting event to check out is on Arran Street East where potters will show you how to make sculpt your own clay pieces with your hands and on a wheel. If you feel like giving yourself a scare, head to Castle Dracula and meet the characters from Dracula!

Dublin Fringe Festival  

The annual Dublin Fringe Festival runs from September 9 – 24  in various locations across Dublin. Showcasing Dublin’s distinguished performing arts scene, this festival plays host to several cutting-edge new shows.

Some of this year’s highlights include; “Neon Western- Conflicted Theater/Peter Power”. Taking place in the Samuel Beckett Theater from September 8 – 17, this part rave, part theater showcase offers “an immersive experience like no other”.

Studio 1 in The Lir Academy  will host the “Normal – WeGetHighOnThis Collective” from September 18 – 23. Normal explores morality and contemporary culture, seeking to ask and answer questions about the role of those living with autism in modern day Ireland. 

A recent Trinity graduate, Luke Casserly, debuts at the Fringe Festival with his play “efficacy 84”, a play which looks at the Kerry Babies case and Ireland in the 1980s. This runs from September 21 – 23.

IMMA Exhibitions

The Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA) will play host to some incredible exhibitions this month which you should definitely check out, especially as entry is free for full-time students. One that spikes my interest is The Freud Project which will display 50 works by Lucian Freud, one of the foremost 20th century figurative artists.

The gallery will also play host to 93%  Stardust, a film exhibition by the internationally celebrated Irish artist, Vivienne Dick.  The exhibition showcases films from late 1970’s New York to her recent works, as well as premiering her new film, Augenblick.  

Sound Check

Build an instrument, make some music and compare engineering with dubstep as the Science Gallery takes on digital sound-making. This exhibition asks questions about the future of sound and the limits of music, and hosts a number of events over the next few days. Running until September 24, this free event is well worth catching so go make some noise!