Trinity places second in Sunday Times university guide

NUI Galway has been named University of the Year

Photo by Aisling Crabbe

Trinity has been named runner-up in The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018,  with National University of Ireland, Galway (NUI Galway) being named the University of the Year.

The guide measures 22 Irish Higher Education Institutes (HEI) across six key indicators including course completion rates, top degrees awarded and graduate job prospects and has been published each year since 2002. The guide is Ireland’s only league table that measures the performance of all 22 multi-faculty third-level education institutes.

This is the third time NUI Galway has been named the as the best university in the country by The Sunday Times. The university first won the award in 2002 and then again in 2009. Trinity was last named University of the Year in 2014, which was the twelfth year in succession. This year is the second year in succession that Trinity has been named runner up.

Editor of The Sunday Times, Alastair McCall, said NUI Galway’s research reputation and the reputation of its academics were among the reasons the university was crowned the winner this year. It was also found that the university has the best job prospects in the country, with a 3% graduate unemployment rate.

Athlone Institute of Technology was announced as The Sunday Times Institute of Technology of the Year, with Letterkenny IT named as the runner-up.

This year, Trinity was announced as the best university in the country in the QS World University Rankings, in which it ranked 88th in the world, as well as in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, where it placed 131st.

Cian Mac Lochlainn

Cian Mac Lochlainn is an Economics and Politics student, and a Contributing Writer for Trinity News.