Proposed student space allocated in TBSI

TCDSU President Kevin Keane made the announcement at Council tonight

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has assigned an area in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI) as a new student space. TCDSU President Kevin Keane made the announcement at SU Council tonight.

Speaking to Trinity News, TCDSU President Kevin Keane said: “A portion of the Student Space Levy will be used, in collaboration with the School of Medicine who have also agreed to part fund the space.”

“The proposed new student space in TBSI would be a very significant victory for the students who study there every day. The space is over 100 metres squared, and would be dedicated solely to student use and calibrated towards relaxation space that is student-owned and student-regulated. I am extremely proud of the potential that the space has – between myself, the President of the GSU and the Chair of the CSC, we have put in many long hours of work and negotiation with College to bring us to where we currently are.”

The Student Space Levy was voted on last March by students in a referendum. Students voted to pay an annual levy of €30 for a student centre. Prior to the vote, it was agreed that some of the funds raised by the levy would also go towards improving existing student spaces and incorporating new spaces into other College buildings.

Other new student spaces the levy will fund include off-campus spaces on D’Olier Street, and in Tallaght Hospital, while existing student spaces will be upgraded in St. James’ Hospital. In addition, the fund will also provide improvements for the 1937 Reading Room and provide accessible offices for the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU).

In March, a referendum on the creation of a student centre saw 88% of students vote in favour of the proposal. The student centre is expected to cost approximately €6.7 million and will cover 1,000 square metres. It is expected to include common areas for students, multi-purpose event spaces and kitchenettes, as well as offices and a retail space. The levy will be included in the student contribution fee for 22 years, with TCDSU mandated to build the student centre within five years.

The levy was included in student fees for the 2017/18 academic year, except for students graduating up until the 2019/20 academic year who will not see the centre finished. All students who are deemed to be in financial hardship will be exempt from the levy. 

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student.