UCD partners with Ulster University to create cardiac multinational research centre

flickr: leandrociuffo

Ulster University (UU) has opened the Eastern Corridor Medical Engineering Centre (ECME), with partners located throughout the Republic of Ireland, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Supervised by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB), the programme has provided the ECME with €8.2 million in funds to research cardiovascular medicine.These efforts aim to fight cardiovascular disease.

The cross border facility will unite researchers from academia and professionals from the cardiovascular field with experts in the health and social care sector. The partnership aims to develop heart disease care models and further patient experience and clinical success through the advancement of remote monitoring systems and medical grade wearables.

As leader of EMCE, Ulster University is now partnered with University College Dublin (UCD), Dundalk Institute of Technology (DkIT), Dublin City University (DCU), the University of Highlands and Islands (UHI), and the Southern Health and Social Care Trust Cardiac Research Unit.

According to Business World, Gina McIntyre, CEO of the SEUPB, commented: “This is a project which has the potential to positively transform the lives of thousands of people and their families across Northern Ireland, the border region of Ireland and Western Scotland. By increasing the levels of cross-border Research and Innovation within the Health & Life Sciences sector, there is the opportunity to create a strong economic impact, and this is one of the core objectives of the INTERREG VA Programme.”

Contributing to the discussion, UCD Dean of Physiotherapy and EMCE principle investigator Professor Brian Caulfield said: “At UCD and the at the UCD Beacon Hospital Academy we are combining expertise in artificial intelligence, data mining, human computer interaction, wearable sensors and clinical research to explore the role that patient generated data can have in driving an enhanced understanding of heart failure and promotion of self-management strategies.”

Caroline Boyle

Caroline Boyle is a current Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh BESS student, and a former Senior Reporter.