Trinity wins award at the annual DatSci awards

The winning project is machine-learning based and revolves around keeping track on the changes of the data-technology landscape in order to keep up with novel technologies.

Trinity’s Global Centre of Excellence for Digital Content and Media Innovation (ADAPT) were among the ten award winners at the third annual Data Science (DatSci) Awards, held last Friday at Croke park. ADAPT won the award for Best Contribution to Data Science in an Academic Research Body for their work on AI technology discovery and extraction. Senior research engineer Murhaf Hossari accepted the award on behalf of the organisation.

27 data science professionals judged the competition over a series of three competitive stages, which included a face-to-face presentation. ADAPT’s winning project is machine-learning based and revolves around keeping track of the changes in the data-technology landscape in order to keep up with novel technologies. The project finds and extracts information related to novel technologies from literature and predicts trends.

Linda Davis, who established the DatSci awards in 2016, expressed her optimism for the growing field of data science in Ireland: “It has been really amazing to watch the evolution of data science over the past three years.  This year the DatScis have had an overwhelming response to the Awards and the calibre of talent and projects has been incredible. 2018 saw the DatScis open one of the award categories to wider communities outside of Ireland, this was the start of the European DatSci Campaign.  I would like to congratulate all the winners and nominees of 2018, thank you for your contributions.”

Other winners included Genesys for best use of data science in a large company and the National Biodiversity Data Centre for best use of data to achieve social impact. Gary White, a Trinity student, was also nominated for best data science student of the year.

Danielle Olavario

Danielle Olavario is a former SciTech Editor of Trinity News. She is a Microbiology graduate.