Halls expansion to provide 300 new beds

European Investment Bank invests €100m in Trinity’s capital projects

Trinity Hall (Halls) is to receive a 300-bed expansion as one of four capital development projects set to take place across campus under €100m investment from the European Investment Bank (EIB).

Other projects include expanding the School of Law and refurbishing the Arts Building. The first stage of Arts Building refurbishments took place over the summer, with new seating “pods” a key addition on the ground floor.

The €100m long-term EIB loan was announced this morning by EIB Vice-President Andrew McDowell on a visit to Trinity. McDowell stated:  “New investment is crucial to continually strengthen research, educational excellence and world-class innovation, as well as provide students with skills for the 21st century.”

The Engineering, Environment and Emerging Technologies “E3” institute is also to receive investment from the loan. The E3 Institute requires the building of the Learning Foundry, a 6,086 square meter facility on the Trinity main campus is to provide an innovative and interactive learning space for students.

The Schools of Computer Science and Statistics, Natural Sciences and Engineering are to share the new Learning Foundry, which is to be a launchpad for a new educational experience with a focus on collaborative and project work, and is to have space for 1,800 additional Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) students, allowing a 50% increase in STEM places over the next ten years.

“We are investing in educational and research facilities for the benefit of all our students and staff,” outlined Provost Patrick Prendergast.

“The financing EIB has provided to Trinity has been crucial in strengthening our research and education facilities. Without such support, we would not have been able to progress with important flagship projects such as E3 and much needed student accommodation,” he continued.

Earlier this year, Trinity received €25m donation from the Naughton family, the largest single philanthropic donation in the history of the Irish state. These funds are also being put towards the E3 development.

Elle Buckvold

Elle Buckvold is a staff writer at Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister History and Geography student.