The Film Scene: Movie night at Workmans

The Film Scene is a student run forum where student filmmakers can show their work to film fanatics and those looking to fill an evening

As the new term ushers in and we are all reunited with our College friends, it can be a good idea to find new things to do in Dublin, as opposed to re-visiting your usual hang out spots. One new and free initiative is The Film Scene, a monthly meet-up organised by Trinity student Hannah-Kate Ní Shioradáin. This event is a forum where student filmmakers can debut their work and be sure of an audience.

Starting at 7.30pm on Monday night, the tone of the event, casual and comfortable, was set immediately by not just the organisers and those present but the decor. Set in the upstairs of Workmans, the room was a throwback to the 70s, decorated with patterned yellow wallpaper and vintage radios. The back of the room was ready with stools and couches to create a relaxed atmosphere, leaving the door easily accessible for anyone hoping to slip out and grab a pint. If you wanted you could elect to have a name badge with a passion of yours to help facilitate mingling, a particularly helpful innovation for any young film-makers looking to network or fill a role in their next venture.

Once the chatter had subsided, Ní Shioradáin opened the event with The First Dance directed by Daragh Goan who studies at the Institute of Art, Design and Technology. This movie was inspired by an assignment which focused on the theme of time and followed a young woman’s journey after her marriage. With interesting elements entwined, such as the use of dance and no dialogue, it was interesting to see to the evolution and different possible paths of someone’s life in such a short space of time. Following each showing, Ni Shioradain interviewed the directors before opening the floor to the audience.

Next was Intransigent directed by Tom O’Brien at Ballyfermot College of Further Education, a horror which illustrated O’Brien’s passion for “atmosphere” over “gore” and “letting people use their imaginations as much as possible”. The movie, shot in black and white, illustrated inspiration from iconic horror movies, and the director’s evident passion for horror, and particularly zombies, was incredibly appealing. Following this was This Is Not Consent directed by Gemma Bovenizer, who is a student at University College Dublin (UCD). Bovenizer aimed to highlight recent events in Ireland such as a rape trial where the defendant’s underwear was used as evidence and the rape trial in Northern Ireland last March by looking at consent through a different medium.

Mugged Off directed by Connor Howlet, a student of Trinity, brought humour to the evening, following the romance between a man and his mug. The room erupted in laughter throughout the showing, the volume only increasing as the director and his team were interviewed afterwards- freely admitting it may not be a masterpiece, but it was wonderful to watch. In stark contrast was UCD student Alexander Wilson Flynn’s movie, Unforgotten. Set in a nursing home, the movie was brilliantly shot with the aid of professionals and was armed with a script filled with twists and turns that left the room in awe. Like any great movie, the viewer was left with numerous questions of whether acts from the past can be unforgiven, or indeed, unforgotten.

Finishing at around 10.30pm, the packed room quickly shuffled around as novices and film-buffs alike spoke to the directors. An event that was truly unique, promising a platform for budding directors and Ireland’s next generation of true talents or someone simply looking to do something different, there was a friendliness and lack of formality which would have encouraged anyone to stay and talk.

Ní Shioradáin will be continuing these events, though is hoping to move to a bigger venue, as it increases in popularity. Even though it was only the third time The Film Scene has taken place, Ní Shioradáin has clearly filled a much-needed space for inventive and cheap things to do in Dublin, while facilitating artistry in Ireland. As they prepare for their fourth event, there is no doubt that Ní Shioradáin’s passion and hard work will pay off in what is set to be Dublin’s next great success.

Georgina Francis

Georgina Francis is a former Managing Editor, Life Editor and Assistant Life Editor of Trinity News.