Nina Nesbitt, Bugzy Malone, and Honey Dijon announced as first Trinity Ball acts

The Ball will take place on April 12

Scottish singer-songwriter, Nina Nesbitt, Manchester grime artist, Bugzy Malone, and, American DJ, Honey Dijon, are the first three acts announced to play Trinity Ball on April 12.

Speaking to Trinity News, TCDSU Ents Officer David Flood, who organises the Ball in conjunction with music promoters MCD, said: “With the line up now booked, I can confidently say that the crowdsourcing has had a directed impact on the line-up! I’m stoked for the Ball as it’s a killer line-up but more importantly it’s what the students have said they want!” Flood previously introduced the option for students to crowdsource Trinity Ball as part of his manifesto for the role of Ents Officer.

Nesbitt is playing the Ball as part of The Sun Will Come Up UK and Ireland tour. The tour is named after Nesbitt’s most recent album The Sun Will Come Up, the Seasons Will Change, which was released on February 1. This is Nesbitt’s second album, following her debut Peroxide in 2013.

Nesbitt previously appeared to confirm her Trinity Ball appearance when a Dublin date appeared on her tour schedule in November. The incident follows a similar occurrence last year in which headliner George Ezra included Trinity Ball as one of his tour dates in an email to fans, before the official lineup of the Ball had been released. Nesbitt was previously due to play the Ball in 2014, but pulled out before the Ball.

Bugzy Malone is a grime artist from Manchester, England. Malone has released three EPs which have all landed in the UK Albums Chart Top 10, with his latest release, King of the North peaking at No. 4.

Honey Dijon is a an American DJ and producer. Dijon is known best as an underground electronic music, but prides herself on not adhering to just one genre. Dijon will also play Pygmalion in March.

This year’s date for Trinity Ball previously sparked controversy in October, when a petition was launched to change the April 12 date amid concerns that it falls just over a week from the start of the summer exam period. The Ball is traditionally held on the last Friday of Hilary Term.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.