SU Electoral Commission condemn reports of antisemitism and racism

The Electoral Commission are forwarding a report to the Junior Dean

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Electoral Commission (EC) have condemned racist and antisemitic social media comments that emerged on social media today. The condemnation was made by EC Chair, Stephen Sheil, who spoke at the Trinity Halls’ Hustings this evening.

Sheil addressed the spectators at tonight’s hustings, and made calls to the account holder, noting that “I know you’re in the room”. Following this, a post was input on the account, with a photo of Sheil’s Twitter account, and the caption “fight me”. They also challenged Sheil on this, and urged him to “just call me out”.

In an email statement to Trinity News, Sheil said: “There have been a number of online attacks towards candidates and a horrific Twitter account created filled with antisemitic rhetoric. The Electoral Commission and TCDSU cannot condemn in stronger words the attitudes and opinions on said page. The issue will be passed onto college authorities and dealt with.”

The account, named “Aryans of Trinity”, has made comments relating to TCDSU election candidates. The Twitter page noted that Presidential candidate Laura Beston was “the most aryan amongst TCDSU candidates and obviously just playing the smart game before she endorses 1930s occultic fascism”.

Beston addressed this during the hustings, and noted that it illustrated “how awful Trinity can be”.

The Junior Dean deals with all disciplinary issues within College. The Electoral Commission is in charge of overseeing the TCDSU elections.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.