College Park closed due to stormy weather

The decision to close the park was communicated to all staff and students in an email this afternoon

College park, the large playing field area outside the Pavillion Bar has been closed by Trinity this afternoon due to the weather brought on by Hurricane Lorenzo.

In an email to all staff and students, the Estates and Facilities department within College said that “due to the recent spell of bad weather, and the heavy rainfall expected over the coming days, a decision has been made to close College Park.

They expressed their desire to maintain safety on campus: “This decision was made in the interest of safety for our staff and students.”

The email also stated that they are set to review the decision in the coming days and that College Park will remain closed until further notice.

Storm Lorenzo arrived in Ireland this morning with wind speeds of up to 120km/h expected in some parts of the country. Met Eireann has issued four weather warnings. The five westernmost counties of Ireland have been placed on amber alert; the rest of the island has been deemed a yellow threat.

The Met Office in England are also concerned, deeming the storm a ‘threat to life’.

In Dublin, the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) Break the Barriers march due to take place today was called off due to the weather.

A cohort of Trinity students led by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) were set to participate in the demonstration.

In lieu of the march, a lobbying campaign has been launched by student unions today, contacting TDs and government ministers about the barriers to higher education and encouraging members to do the same.

Alfie Fletcher

Alfie Fletcher is the Deputy Food and Drink Editor of Trinity News, and a Junior Fresh English student.