Ivana Bacik re-elected to Seanad on the sixth count

David Norris was re-elected on the fourth count

Ivana Bacik has been re-elected a University of Dublin Senator on the sixth count.

Bacik received a total of 3,963 votes out of a total valid poll of 15,041, Provost Patrick Prendergast, the returning officer, announced. 

She was elected following the elimination of William Priestley and the redistribution of his votes. The count is taking place in the Dargan Theatre in the Trinity Business School. 

David Norris was re-elected to the Seanad on the fourth count. The third and final University of Dublin Seanad seat is likely to be held by the current senator Lynn Ruane, who has 2,229 after the sixth count. 

Hugo MacNeill, the retired rugby player and former director of Goldman Sachs, is in fourth place with 2,299. In fifth is Tom Clonan, a retired Irish army captain, lecturer and security analyst, with 1,682.

The other five candidates – Joseph O’Gorman, Abbas Ali O’Shea, Derek Byrne and Keith Scanlon and William Priestly – have all been eliminated. Byrne and Ali O’Shea were eliminated first, followed by O’Gorman, then Scanlon and finally Priestley. 

Norris was first elected to the Seanad in 1987 and will now serve his ninth term in the Seanad. Bacik, a Reid Professor of Criminal Law in Trinity’s Law School, was first elected in 2007. Lynn Ruane was elected to the Seanad in 2016 while serving as Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) president.