TCDSU President Eoin Hand “deeply concerned” by objection against additional beds

Residents have reportedly complained against the introduction of additional bed spaces to Trinity Hall due to students’ “anti-social behaviour”

This morning, Trinity College Dublin’s Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Eoin Hand expressed concern over the objection from Temple Road residents for additional bed spaces for students at Trinity Hall.

According to TheJournal.ie, concerns over students “late-night” behaviour at Trinity Hall has prompted residents to reject College’s plans to 358 extra bed spaces. 

TCDSU President Eoin Hand stated: “In the midst of a National Housing Crisis, the objection from Temple Road residents to the development of further, vital bed spaces for students, along with the threat of legal recourse against Trinity College Dublin is deeply concerning.”

The proposed development, while not a solution to the systemic issues at hand, is set to offer accommodation to students at a more affordable price than existing options,” Hand continued. “We hope that this will help to reduce the current barriers to Higher Education faced by students in Ireland.”

He added: “Third Level Education is a right for everyone, not just for those who can afford extortionate rents.”

Residents have reportedly complained against late-night rowdy behaviour from students in the area. They have objected to the proposed expansion of Trinity Hall due to alleged residents urinating, vomiting, screaming and shouting upon leaving the accommodation complex. 

Hand explained: “The reported issues of anti-social behaviour and the proposed redevelopment at Trinity Hall are separate matters. The conflation of these issues comes at an opportune time in the planning approval process and are intended to halt this crucial redevelopment.”

Hand continued: “Trinity College has demonstrated a commitment to addressing the reported anti-social behaviour experienced by the residents of Temple Road.”

According to TheJournal.ie, residents have complained about “not being able” to use bedrooms at the front of their house due to noise complaints. One Dartry resident complained that there was a “vast improvement” with the huge amount of litter from empty bottles and noise pollution following the closure of College due to Covid-19.

Hand explained that there are “already” a number of existing measures in Trinity Hall to reduce anti-social behaviour. These include measures like a shuttle bus service between the residence and nearby LUAS stop, full-time wardens and security personnel who are stationed to “ensure the safety of both students and nearby residents”. 

Hand stated that Trinity has a “strong disciplinary policy in place” to hold students accountable for anti-social behaviour. 

“We are extremely concerned that the damaging allegations made by nearby residents fail to represent the broader population of students in Trinity Halls and misrepresents the efforts made to tackle these reported issues,” Hand stated. 

According to two local residents, they have written eight letters about anti-social behaviour and held meetings with College through legal representatives over a three-year period over what necessary steps College was to take to prevent regular anti-social behaviour by residents of Trinity Hall. 

Hand stated: “As Student Union President in Trinity, and former Halls resident myself, I have never seen anything like the scenes depicted in these objections.”

“Unfortunately, this objection is likely part of a history of complaints, but it is important to note that we cannot be certain that the behaviour they allege came from Trinity students,” he continued. “The reality is that Dublin urgently needs more affordable student accommodation.”

Hand added: “The plans to build further student accommodation will be of a huge benefit to students but will also contribute to the reduction of pressure to the Dublin housing market.”

Previously this month, the Union of Students’ in Ireland (USI) and TCDSU condemned proposals to turn student accommodation into co-living facilities.