Cathal Ó Ríordáin withdraws from Welfare and Equality race

Ó Ríordáin did not make an appearance at tonight’s Council hustings

Cathal Ó Ríordáin, one of the three candidates who entered this year’s welfare and equality race, has suspended his campaign for the position. 

Speaking to Trinity News, Ó Ríordáin said “While I would’ve loved to continue the race I know Welfare is in very good hands”.

Ó Ríordáin also took the opportunity to thank those who had supported him during his brief campaign.

Ó Ríordáin did not make an appearance at tonight’s Council hustings. His withdrawal from the race leaves two remaining candidates in contention for the position, Dylan Krug and Sierra Muller-Owens.   

Ó Ríordáin, final year music student, set out to increase the connection between societies and the SU to better serve Trinity’s students. He stated that he believes such a partnership will allow the union to better tackle issues such as as online abuse, sexual harassment and equality.

Candidates for the six Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) sabbatical officer positions tonight fielded questions from incumbent officers and students at the second hustings of the campaign season.

The next hustings will take place on Thursday evening, hosted jointly by Trinity News and the University Times. Voting in the SU elections runs from Tuesday March 9 to Thursday March 11.