Deputy Head of Trinity Sport Matthew Dossett elected president of Student Sport Ireland

Dossett will be the first representative from Trinity to occupy the position

Matthew Dossett, Deputy Head of Sport and Recreation at Trinity, has been elected as the next president of Student Sport Ireland (SSI).

He is the first Trinity representative to be elected to the position and has been an active member of Student Sport Ireland since 2016, joining the SSI Board in February of 2019.

Student Sport Ireland is recognised as the governing body of third level sport in Ireland and has 30 affiliated third level colleges and universities.

Upon appointment to the position, Dossett said that sport and physical health will be “more important than ever” in moving out of the pandemic.

“I am a strong believer in the importance and unique impact of student sport, it creates life-long habits and connections, and is a fundamental bridge within an important phase of our lives that a huge number of young people across the membership experience each year,” Dossett said.

“As we emerge from the current global crisis, sport and physical health will be more important than ever in providing both inspiration and engagement, as well enabling a growing active and healthy population,” he said.

Dossett will take over from Carmel Lynch who had occupied the role since 2019 and previously served as Honorary Chairperson from 2014.

University College Dublin (UCD) PhD student Catherine Mahony has been re-elected as Student Sport Ireland’s vice president.

Holding a BSc in Sport Science and a MSc in Sport Management, Dossett has been involved in the sport industry for 20 years.

Michelle Tanner, Head of Sport and Recreation at Trinity, said that Dosset is a “tremendously supportive and trusted colleague to the members of SSI and with all his experience, knowledge, and passion”.

“I have no doubt he will be a great leader for Student Sport Ireland now and into the future,” Tanner said.

Karl Oakes (Queen’s University Belfast) was appointed interim Director for Responsibility of Financial Oversight and Niamh O’Callaghan (Technology University Dublin) has also joined the board as a director.

“I would like to especially thank Carmel Lynch (IT Carlow), former President and Paul Davis (NUI Maynooth) and all other colleagues who have stepped off committees in the past few years and whose commitment to SSI have been significant,” said Dossett.

Shannon McGreevy

Shannon McGreevy is the Online Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Biochemistry.