Emer Moreau elected University Times Editor on the first count

Moreau received 82.5% of first preference votes

Emer Moreau has been elected as the next editor of the University Times, receiving 82.5% of the vote. 

Moreau secured the editorship with a wide margin, defeating her opponent Peter Caddle, who received 13.4% of the vote.

Moreau received 2,410 first preferences, while Caddle received 390.

The option to vote to re-open nominations in this race received 4.1% of the vote.

Moreau is the current Deputy Editor of the paper, having previously served as the News Editor and the Assistant Editor. Her campaign focused largely on continuity and maintaining the current standards of the University Times. She repeatedly stressed her paper’s central goal of “holding College to account”. 

Moreau has proposed new initiatives for the paper including the creation of a Diversity and Inclusion Committee and an Ethnic Minorities Correspondent alongside a new Irish-language publication.

Moreau has faced questions about the feasibility of her proposals, notably the recruitment process for an Ethnic Minorities Correspondent and the logistics of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee. 

Moreau’s victory continues the long line of Deputy Editors of the University Times comfortably becoming Editor. Last year was the first year the race was contested by another University Times staff member, and this year was the third year the race has been contested by more than one candidate.

Polling conducted by Trinity News during last week at that point suggested that Moreau would receive 87.1% of the vote of the decided electorate, while her opponent Caddle’s support was at just 9.7%. 

This race was not as close as previous contested races. Last year, current editor Cormac Watson won with 52.4% of the vote, while his opponent Susie Crawford secured 47.6%. 

In 2018, Eleanor O’Mahony defeated Michael McDermott – a joke candidate – at 58.5% to 33.5%.

Kate Glen

Kate Glen is a News Analysis Editor for Trinity News. She is a Senior Sophister History and Political Science student.