This Week In Trinity: Women’s Week

Pantos, Discussions and Games: tune in to find out what’s in store for students this week

Society events for this week all kick off on Tuesday with the weekly virtual coffee hour with DUGES at 11:00am – 12:00pm. Bring your favorite mugs and biscuits to discuss all the merits of women’s week over discord! 

On Tuesday evening you’ll be spoilt for choice with a range of all different events hosted by our societies. From 6:00pm-7:00pm join DU Gamers for some “Casual Card Games” such as Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon, and Magic the Gathering on their respective digital platforms. No physical cards or prior knowledge of these games are required to join in the fun! Then at 7:00pm, Trinity VDP has shocked us all by announcing that they will be hosting their 2021 Panto *drum roll* it’s Toy Story. Covid-19 clearly has not beat Trinity VDP, taking place over Zoom with free entry join in to see what over 50 hours of virtual rehearsals can achieve. The night will be finished with a raffle to raise funds for the society. 

If you’d rather something more focused on women this week (it is Women’s Week after all), then join DUGES as they team up with the TCDSU to provide you all with a screening of “Rocket”. Starting at 7:30pm, join the Netflix party to watch this electrifying coming-of-age drama, set in East London and created by a mostly female crew. 

Wednesday night brings an array of different talks to choose from, starting with the DU Zoo Soc. From 6:00pm-7:00pm, tune in over Zoom to hear a panel discussion with Wildlife Rehabilitation Ireland. Zoo Soc welcomes Aoife Mc Partlin and Dan from Wildlife Rehabilitation Ireland, a non-profit organisation established to support and improve wildlife rehabilitation resources in Ireland and promote awareness around the topic. 

Are animals not really your thing? What about money? If so, join this week’s debate with The Hist: SER Debate: THW Implement Universal Basic Income. At 6:30pm, the Hist will be joined by the Student Economic Review (SER) to host an inter-varsity debate on the motion that “This House Would Implement Universal Basic Income between Yale and Trinity”.

Thursday at 3:00pm DUGES are teaming up with LitSoc to provide a discussion on “Bimbos and Himbos in Media”. Join in over Zoom for an exciting discussion as to why all these lovable bimbos have appeared on our screens for years. 

If you fancy some more virtual games this week, tune in from 6:00pm-9:00pm to play RPG One Shot Adventures with DU Gamers. RPG is a more roleplaying-based game, and attendees of this event will be assigned characters in line with this week’s theme: Be Gay, Do Crimes! You can expect heists, shenanigans, and/or queerness in the games this week. 

At 6:30pm, the DUBES welcomes Carlos Cantu: EMEA Head of Marketing. For anyone interested in business and marketing this is a must-see. Cantu, who is currently working for twitters, also leads the Business Marketing team for Europe and the Middle East, previously working as a Creative Director who became a Marketer. 

Finally, finish Women’s Week by joining The Phil’s thought-provoking debate: This House Regrets the Sex Positivity Movement. At 7:30pm the Phil will be debating the positives and negatives of the movement which has changed culture norms around sexuality and combats harmful stereotypes that often harm women and the LGBTQ+ community. Tune in to see who wins…