€9 million funding allocated to research in technological institutions

The SFI funding aims to increase research capacity in technological universities and institutes of technology

A new science programme is investing €9 million over five years in expanding the research capacity of technological universities (TUs) and institutes of technology (IoTs).

Minister for Further and Higher Education Simon Harris announced a €700,000 investment in 2021, with €9.1 million over five years.

The aim of the programme is to increase the research capacity of TUs and IoTs through facilitating teaching replacement. Likewise, the programme aims to increase the number of PhD students in TU and IoT institutes and to expand the areas in the country where Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) funds research.

The funding comes under the Science Foundation Ireland Frontiers for Partnership Awards programme (SFI). 

The programme is now accepting proposals that are led by TUs and IoTs.

Using the new funding, SFI has developed a new stream to support research capacity and developing TUs and IoTs alongside universities.

In a statement, Harris said he was “delighted to announce this new initiative to increase geographical involvement and research engagement across the country, building on the unique strengths of both sectors”. 

“A key element of the programme is to increase research capacity in Technological Universities and Institutes of Technology by facilitating teaching replacement and increasing the number of PhD students,” he said.

Successful awards will be used to support teaching buyout and recruiting PhD students. 

Awards for the programme will be between half a million to one million euro and are to be handed out over the course of 48 to 60 months.

Jamie Cox

Jamie Cox is current News Analysis Editor for Trinity News and previously served as Higher Education Correspondent. He is a Junior Sophister Ancient and Medieval History and Culture student.