Library set to increase opening hours from Monday

In an email to staff and students today, the Library announced that from Monday April 26 there will be a further opening of the Library, to support students as they prepare and finish their assessments

The Library has announced that they are to increase their opening hours from Monday April 26, following only being open for limited hours during Level 5 restrictions to stop the spread of Covid-19.

In an email to staff and students this morning, the Library announced that the new opening hours are to “support our students” as they finish assignments and begin the assessment period.

The Berkeley, Lecky, Ussher Complex and the Hamilton Library will now be open from 9am to 5pm on Monday to Friday, with counter-services operations from 11am to 3pm. 

Following the completion of the assessment period on Monday, May 24, opening hours will be 9:30 to 5pm, Monday to Friday. 

Kinsella Hall (which makes up floors 1 to 3 of the Ussher Library) will be open from 9 am to 4 pm with access via the Berkeley Library entrance. In this complex, there will be a security changeover from 4 pm to 5 pm where there will be no access to the complex, and from 5pm to 10 pm the complex will also be open, with access via external door on Ussher podium. 

Kinsella Hall Library will also be open on weekends from 8am to 10pm, with access via the external door also. 

The 1937 Reading Room will remain on its current hours, 8am to 10pm, Monday to Sunday. 

The John Starnes Medical Library will be open from 9:30 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday. 

The Map Library will also be open two afternoons a week by appointment, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm to 3:45pm.

The email, which was signed by Librarian Helen Shenton, concluded: “I feel this term has been particularly challenging for us all, with the continuous Level 5 lockdown restrictions in place. On behalf of everyone in the Library, I would like to wish our students well in their revision and assessment in the coming weeks.”

Assessments are to take place online for the third time due to Covid-19. Exams begin on May 10, and will primarily take place as take-home assessments and live exams. 

This article was updated at 3pm to change a previously stipulated date for when exams begin. Exams begin on May 10, and conclude on May 23.