Provost election: Linda Doyle and Linda Hogan progress to second round of voting

Jane Ohlmeyer has been knocked out of the election after securing the fewest votes

Professors Linda Doyle and Linda Hogan are progressing to the second round of voting in the election of Trinity’s next provost.

Professor Jane Ohlmeyer received the fewest votes of the three candidates in the first round and has been removed from the ballot, securing just 211 of the electoral votes.

Either Doyle or Hogan are now to be elected as provost as a second stage of voting opens between the two candidates.

The result was expected to be confirmed around 1pm this afternoon, but a delay to the schedule may mean a later announcement.

The first round of voting, which was due to end at 10.15am, was extended after some members experienced a slowness with using the voting website.

The successful candidate is set to succeed incumbent Provost Patrick Prendergast, who is to vacate the office on July 31. 

With three women on the ballot this morning, Trinity is guaranteed to elect a woman as its next provost for the first time in its history.

In the first round of voting, Ohlmeyer was eliminated with 211 votes, narrowly being beaten by Linda Hogan who received 222 votes. Doyle received 345 of the electorate votes in the first round this morning.

There was 781 votes cast in the first round this morning, while the whole electorate was made up of 867. 3 members of the electorate abstained from voting.

Ohlmeyer is Trinity’s Erasmus Smith Professor of Modern History and was first Vice President for Global Relations from 2011 to 2014.

Between 2015 and 2020, Ohlmeyer was the Director of the Trinity Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute.

She is the Chair of the Irish Research Council and joined Trinity as a staff member in 2003 after completing her PhD in Trinity, an MA at the University of Illinois, and her undergraduate degree at the University of St Andrews.

Trinity College Dublin’s Student’s Union (TCDSU) moved to offer their commiserations to Ohlmeyer on Twitter, stating that she “ran a great campaign”. All TCDSU votes in the electorate were attributed to Professor Ohlmeyer.

This article was updated at 12:16pm to include a breakdown of electoral votes in the first round.