Students can defer capstone projects to August without penalty

Students are to have the “automatic right” to defer their capstone project submissions until the reassessment period

Trinity students are to be allowed to defer the submission of their capstone project until August, College has confirmed.

An email from College this afternoon alerted students to a new mitigation measure by which students completing their capstone project theses may defer their submission until the reassessment session in August with no penalty.

The email stated that exams and assignments deferred to the reassessment session will be “recorded as a first attempt”, but that in the case of deferral, no “special supplemental” second attempts would be possible before the following academic year.

College said some modules, such as clinical skills assessments, may not be deferrable.

Requests to defer an assessment must be submitted before the assessment is due.

The deadline for submitting capstone projects for several courses, such as Law, is scheduled for tomorrow, April 7. 

The email, signed by Dean of Undergraduate Studies Kevin Mitchell and Vice Provost Jürgen Barkhoff, outlined that “normal compensation rules for progression will apply, but it will not be possible to pass modules by aggregation”. 

“That is, if students have an overall passing grade, they may pass by compensation up to 10 ECTS of modules, if they have achieved a mark of at least 35% in those modules. Note that some courses have specific modules or components that cannot be passed in this way by compensation,” Mitchell and Barkhoff said. 

“As for first semester assessments, students in years that contribute to their final degree grade may apply to re-sit passed modules, following the same procedures. Re-sits will be scheduled in the reassessment session in August and students will be awarded the higher grade achieved, with their yearly or degree grade adjusted accordingly.”

In an email sent to students in February, no mitigation measures for online assessments were laid out, but Dean of Undergraduate Studies Kevin Mitchell later clarified that “re-sits of passed modules will be possible for second semester as well as for first semester assessments for Sophister students”.

Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a Senior Fresher English Studies student, and the Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.