Trinity Ents announces virtual Trinity Ball replacement

“Trinity Festival” will be streamed live on April 23

Yesterday evening, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents Officer Hugh McInerney issued a statement announcing the upcoming “Trinity Festival”, to take place on April 23. 

The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has necessitated the cancellation of Trinity’s largest event, Trinity Ball, for the second year in a row, but this year, the Ents team have organised a virtual replacement for the event in the form of the Trinity Festival.

The concert, which will be made available at no cost to participants “to watch from anywhere in the world”, will commence at 9pm on April 23 and feature headlining performances by Malaki, Nealo, and Ailbhe Reddy. Pre-recorded performances filmed “in some of the most recognisable Trinity locations” have also been prepared by artists such as Big Sleep, Tertia, and Ellie O’Neill.

“We are super excited to support these wonderful artists in such a tough time for the entertainment industry in general and can’t wait to give our students the best possible alternative to a live music gig in COVID times,” said McInerney in a press release about the event.

The Festival is also to feature segments “highlighting the wonderful ways societies and services in Trinity have adapted and thrived during the pandemic”.

“The theme of Trinity Festival is a simple one: hope,” stated McInerney. “It will highlight the ways our college has coped with such a tough time for everyone in our community and serve as a reminder that no matter how distant it seems normality will soon return.”

Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a Senior Fresher English Studies student, and the Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.