Trinity ranks 101st in the QS World University Rankings 2022

Trinity has maintained its position as the highest ranked university in Ireland

Trinity has ranked 101st in the QS World University Rankings for 2022.

With this ranking, Trinity also maintains its position as the highest ranked university in Ireland for the second year in a row.

The QS rankings perform a comparative analysis of the performance of the world’s top 1,300 universities across 97 countries.

In the rankings this year, College saw a rise in academic reputation. However, there was also a decline in scores associated with staff-student ratios, a category in which all Irish Universities are said to have struggled. 

On the announcement, Proost Patrick Prendergast said that they are “pleased to see Trinity retaining its position as Ireland’s leading university in the QS World University Rankings”. 

“After an enormously challenging year, this ranking makes me proud of our excellent students and faculty, whose scholarship and achievements are critical to our continued success at a global level” he continued. 

Prendergast also noted that “Trinity scored particularly well on academic reputation” which he believes is a reflection of “the success of the entire College community in prioritising excellence in research”. 

He also believes that Trinity “would have performed even better were it not for the relatively high staff-student ratios common in Irish institutions” and he hopes “that this issue will slowly be resolved” with increased government investment. 

Trinity also ranked 101st in the QS rankings in 2021 which was up from 108th in 2020. College placed 104th in the world in 2019.

In the 2021 QS world rankings by subject, Trinity was ranked as 25th in English Language and Literature, 29th in Classics and Ancient History, 37th in Pharmacy and Pharmacology, and 46th in Nursing. 

Also in 2021, University College Dublin (UCD) ranked second in Ireland at 177th in the world. UCD was followed by National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG) which ranked third in Ireland and 238th in the world.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.