Registration for mRNA vaccines opens for over 18s

Vaccine rollout “ahead of schedule” as registration for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines opens for all adults today.

From today, anyone from 18 years of age can register to receive an mRNA Covid-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre.

Last night, Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly announced on social media that young people can register for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines from July 21. 

“Our vaccination programme is ahead of schedule and continues to perform really well”, Donnelly wrote. 

He continued: “Huge thanks to vaccination teams and volunteers in vaccination centres”. 

All adults in Ireland can register for a mRNA vaccine on the HSE online portal vaccine.hse.ie, or can alternatively call 1850 24 1850. On the portal, people can opt in to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine if an mRNA vaccine is not available. Those who do not opt in will automatically receive a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. 

Those who register for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine will usually receive an appointment around three to four weeks from registration.

According to the HSE, “if you opt in for a viral vector vaccine [Janssen and AstraZeneca], you may be vaccinated sooner, depending on supply”. 

People who have registered for a Janssen vaccine at a pharmacy can still register through the portal to receive another vaccine, the HSE have confirmed. They may be offered an mRNA or AstraZeneca vaccine at a vaccination clinic sooner. 

Earlier this month, Donnelly announced a revised vaccine plan that offered the Janssen and AstraZeneca vaccines to over 18s, in order to vaccinate young people earlier than expected. From July 5, 18 to 34 year olds have been able to register at participating pharmacies to receive the single dose Janssen vaccine. Registration for the AstraZeneca vaccine for 18 to 24 year olds opened on Monday. 

Since pharmacy vaccination opened, over 100 000 Janssen vaccines have been administered. 

The announcement follows a surge in Covid-19 cases nationally and internationally. On Monday, there were 1,100 confirmed cases in Ireland, with 101 hospitalisations.

Sarah Emerson

Sarah Emerson is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Sophister English Literature and Jewish and Islamic Civilizations Student.