CSC seeks society input on format of Freshers’ Week

The organisation said it had “nothing concrete to communicate” yet about what events would be permitted when term begins

The Central Societies Committee (CSC) will hold a town hall meeting for society committees this coming Wednesday (August 11) to discuss Freshers’ Week and the coming academic year.

The CSC circulated an email to Trinity’s society committees on Friday, saying it had “nothing concrete to communicate” currently, but that it was “pushing for development” and “meetings have been secured for next week.” It also asked society representatives to fill out a survey expressing their preferences for how the Freshers’ Fair and Freshers’ Week more generally would ideally be organised.

The survey asked participants a range of questions about their desire and ability to run in-person events during the week of September 20, as well as whether or not they planned to run events for returning students beginning September 6. The CSC said the results would allow it to “represent you and your society appropriately” at meetings with College authorities.

The town hall meeting is intended to deal with “further questions” that may arise, and to serve as “a good opportunity to start discussing the year ahead.”

The CSC did note its limited ability to influence larger events, saying that it is bound to “follow the Government and College restrictions as they develop.”

The email concluded by saying that there would be a series of online training sessions held for society committees between August 23 and 26 to “further help you run your society”. Additional information on these is due to be circulated next week.

Speaking to Trinity News, a member of a society committee said that they believed the CSC was “acting as a hurdle to the smooth running of College societies” and complained that Wednesday’s meeting was “all we are left with, as we attempt to figure out what kind of a Freshers’ Week we will even be able to plan.”

Freshers’ Week, the traditional week of club, society and social events for incoming first years, which is centered on the Freshers’ Fair in Front Square every day, is due to begin on Monday September 20. Incoming first years will also receive their orientation that week, before beginning classes on September 27.

Returning undergraduates and all postgraduates will have their orientation during the week beginning September 6, with teaching resuming on September 13.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.