Module enrollment delayed two hours despite no prior communication with students

Second and third year students were expected to fill out their module choices at 2pm today, however a message on the academic registry login claims this has been pushed until 4pm

Online module enrollment has been delayed two hours today, despite students receiving no communication from College about the push back. 

Senior fresh and junior sophister students were previously told they would be invited to enroll online for this year’s modules at 2pm, however when students went to login on the MyTCD Portal, a message appeared claiming that this had been pushed until 4pm.

The message appeared in red above the login option, stating: “The opening of the module enrollment will be slightly delayed until 4pm today. We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience.”

The Academic Registry (AR) website was also updated with the delay notice today, though it is unclear when this change was made. 

The website now reads; “Online module enrolment for the 2021/22 academic year was due to open for incoming Senior Fresh and Junior Sophistor years at 2pm today Thursday the 19th of August.”

“It will now be slightly delayed until 4pm today! Sorry for the inconvenience caused.”

Module enrollment was due to open in July but was then pushed back to an unknown date in August. Last Friday, students received an email informing them that enrollment would be opening today. 

This delay mirrors events of last year, in which module enrolment was due to take place at 11am on September 27. This was then delayed by half an hour, without any communication to students that this would happen.

Speaking to Trinity News, one student expressed her frustration at the delay saying “last years module enrolment was already very anxiety inducing, it’s so disappointing that the AR couldn’t learn from their mistakes”.

Speaking to Trinity News, another student stated that “the delay in module enrolment for SF and JS students is a barley surprising example of the AR’s disregard for communication with students.”

“If an email had been sent…letting us know there’d be a delay, that would be far more justifiable than the statement placed on a website with no explanation or prior warning.”

It has to be reiterated that this is hardly shocking behaviour from AR, as this is something that has happened before, and will undoubtedly happen again, if no major overhauls of AR are undertaken.”

According to AR, students’ choice of modules in their course will depend on the pathway they selected in June and places will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

Module choices must also be semester balanced according to AR and students will supposedly ““not be able to leave online module enrolment” if their choices are unbalanced.

AR also said that class choices should be “made carefully” after “consulting your course handbook and departmental website”. It also advised students to check how module choices would affect future choices, such as the ability to complete a capstone project in senior sophister year.

Junior fresh students will make module choices in September after Leaving Certificate results and CAO offers have been released. 

This year’s senior sophister students are the final year not to participate in Trinity Pathways, and thus have their module registration process handled separately. Pathways was brought in as part of the Trinity Education Project, and from the 2022/23 academic year onwards it will apply to all years except on courses which are exempt from the structure.

Last year, online module enrollment for senior fresh students opened later than the announced time following a series of delays to the system.

Enrollment for senior fresh modules through the my.tcd.ie portal opened half an hour after the preannounced time of 11am following delays earlier in the week that saw the opening of enrollment pushed from Monday, September 21 to Friday, September 25.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.

Jamie Cox

Jamie Cox is current News Analysis Editor for Trinity News and previously served as Higher Education Correspondent. He is a Junior Sophister Ancient and Medieval History and Culture student.