TCDSU to erect marquee in front of the Pav for outdoor social gatherings

TCDSU Ents are set to organise several outdoor student events using the temporary marquee

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has announced that a temporary marquee is to be erected in front of the Pavillion Bar (the Pav) at College Park.

The marquee is to be erected on September 6 until October 4, due to planning permission regulations.

Since at least 50% of the sides are to be open, it is to be considered an outdoor space.

All student events at the marquee are to be organised by TCDSU’s Ents Officer Greg Arrowsmith in consultation with Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC).

In a press release yesterday, Arrowsmith said; “The marquee will act as both a bookable student space for students to use throughout the day, and an events venue at night, for Ents and clubs and societies to book out and run events from.”

“TCDSU Ents are planning to run a full programme of events for both freshers week and senior freshers week” he continued. “A lot of those plans involve this marquee.”

“We’re hoping to run a large amount of collaborative events which will include Dj sets, bingo nights, trad sessions and much much more.”

According to TCDSU, the marquee “will be 35 metres by 10 metres” and it will operate in accordance with government guidelines on outdoor social gatherings.

Plans include 33 picnic benches inside at 1 metre social distance with maximum capacity at 195 seats, “some of which will be wheelchair accessible”. The tent is also set to have “a temporary bar”. 

Orientation week for all returning students is set to kick off on September 6 with Freshers Week due to begin on September 20.

Bella Salerno

Bella Salerno is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh Middle Eastern, Jewish and Islamic Civilisations and French student.