College to scrap social distancing and vaccination centre to be set up on campus on November 1

Provost Linda Doyle and Director of Student Health, Dr David McGrath have announced College’s plans for after reading week

Today, Provost Linda Doyle and Director of Student Health, Dr David McGrath announced that College plans to scrap social distancing and set up a vaccination centre on campus after reading week

In a video posted on College’s online media platforms Doyle confirmed that College will not enforce any social distancing on-campus after reading week, from November 1. This is contingent upon the Government’s plan to reopen the country fully by October 22.

McGrath announced that there will be a HSE vaccination centre set up on campus as well, facilitated by College’s health service.

Currently, lectures, laboratories and tutorials operate with one metre social distancing and mandatory mask wearing.

The Library and study spaces operate with two metre social distancing and mandatory mask wearing. The 1 hr 45 minute limit and booking system from last year also remains in place.

She said College is “working through issues” regarding in-person teaching and learning and “focusing on finding solutions”. 

College has been criticised this week by students for several issues in regards to timetable clashes and delays in the online module enrollment system.

Most students who sat assessments during the reassessment period could not choose their modules until yesterday, despite classes starting on Monday.

Dr McGrath said students should continue the routine of wearing face coverings, handwashing, and social distancing even after reading week.

He also encouraged students to register for the UniCoV project, a national pilot antigen testing study.

Student and staff volunteers are required to provide saliva samples twice weekly at collection points on campus.

Later on the same day, volunteers must take a self-administered rapid nasal swab antigen test and upload the result onto the UniCoV website – unicov.org.

Bella Salerno

Bella Salerno is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh Middle Eastern, Jewish and Islamic Civilisations and French student.