Blackboard goes down for all students and staff

College have said that an issue with “the secure access control” is the cause

Update: At 4:10pm, Trinity announced that “Blackboard was restored at 3:20pm”. A spokesperson said that migration of the services from the Netherlands to Germany had been cancelled after the issues encountered during the move “could not be resolved by early afternoon“. College said that it “took the decision to allow the company no further time to resolve these issues because of the disruption to our students and staff today“.

Blackboard is currently down for all students and staff.

A spokesperson for College has told Trinity News that an issue with “the secure access control” is the cause of the outage.

Blackboard completed a “scheduled data centre move from Amsterdam to Frankfurt” last night and was due to be back online from 8am this morning. At the time of publication, Blackboard is still down. 

College have said that they are “working with Blackboard to have the service fully available as soon as is possible during today”.

They have apologised for “the disruption and inconvenience caused” and noted that “IT Services will continue to post updates on its Service Alerts webpage”. 

Students received an email from College on Monday October 18 informing them of the works to take place. 

IT services said that between 8pm on Bank Holiday Monday [October 25] and 8am on Tuesday [October 26], Blackboard would be unavailable. During this time  Collaborate Ultra, Panopto, Turnitin, Turning Point and “some other minor systems” such as Matlab Grader, HEAnet Media, and Talis MyReadingList would be unavailable during this time. 

At the time of publication Blackboard has been down for an additional six hours and fifteen minutes.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.