College to reopen tomorrow, with examinations set to proceed as planned

Further updates to come following government announcement at 6pm.

Students and staff have received an email from college interim chief operating officer, Orla Cunningham, with updates on College procedures concerning exams and campus facilities, in light of disruptions caused by Storm Barra.

The email states that it is College’s intention that campus and facilities will reopen tomorrow.

An Tánaiste Leo Varadker has said that government updates will come at 6pm this evening, and will indicate whether universities and schools can reopen tomorrow or be asked to remain shut. Students will receive a further update from College following this.

Students are to assume that examinations scheduled for tomorrow will proceed as planned. The two commencement ceremonies that were due to take place today will however be postponed for 24 hours, and are expected to take place at the same time tomorrow.

The email acknowledges that some students may have their work or study disrupted due to power outages caused by the storm. Any students facing such issues have been instructed to contact their tutor.

These disruptions come as Met Éireann issue a red weather warning for Counties Kerry, Cork and Claire, citing Storm Barra as having a potential risk to human life. 

Orange warnings have been issued for Counties Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Mayo, Wexford, Dublin, Louth, Wicklow and Meath.

Met Éireann have stated that the orange warning given to these counties may be increased to red. 

Jamie Cox

Jamie Cox is current News Analysis Editor for Trinity News and previously served as Higher Education Correspondent. He is a Junior Sophister Ancient and Medieval History and Culture student.