How to get your writing noticed

Ria Walls discovers how to get your writing seen as a student with the variety of publications available on campus

We are lucky to be surrounded by so many talented students at Trinity, clearly demonstrated by a wide range of societies, clubs and organisations. Within Trinity News (TN) there are copious amounts of writers who help us keep the newspaper running smoothly through their contributions to articles. For myself, getting involved with TN has not only encouraged and boosted my confidence as a writer, but having my name published in print has enabled my work to be seen both online and in the paper’s print editions. Whether you are writing for fun and enjoyment, or if you are aspiring to pursue a career in this field and want to gain experience, there are many opportunities on campus to get your work published. 

Here at Trinity News, as well as our fellow College newspaper University Times, there is a wide range of subsections in which you can get involved by emailing the editors. You can write overviews of events, conduct interview pieces, discuss current events, and delve into politics and science. There is something for everyone, and you can come up with your own ideas as well as claim articles pitched by the section editors. Head over to Facebook to find the various groups in which our editors post pitches to be claimed by writers. Contributing to college publications is a great and easy way to get your writing out for others to see, with hundreds of copies circling campus per issue. Both papers are also available online, and can be easily shared on social media so your mammy and granny can read your writing too. On top of this, it’s useful to compile a collection of your writing in a portfolio through the easily accessible nature of the papers.

“I spoke with Alex and Gabi from Icarus. Established in 1950, this magazine showcases the creativity of students and staff — past and present — through a variety of formats of writing, such as poetry, drama and prose.”

As well as the newspapers within Trinity, there are a wide range of magazines available on campus. To gain perspective, I spoke with Alex Mountfield and Gabi Fullam, co-editors of Icarus magazine. Established in 1950, this magazine showcases the creativity of students and staff — past and present — through a variety of formats of writing, such as poetry, drama and prose. All submissions are anonymously reviewed, making it a “very safe and casual way to get your work out into the world” as discussed by Mountfield and Fullam from icarus. Icarus publishes around three print issues each academic year alongside running numerous public events and workshops for students to get involved with throughout the term. In order to submit, you can reach out through their various social media (@IcarusTCD) they are very open to a wide range of formats of works on any theme or topic that you desire to discuss, create or design.

“TCD Miscellany, or MISC, focuses on political, cultural and social perspectives within Ireland.”

TCD Miscellany, or MISC., focuses on political, cultural and social perspectives within Ireland. As with the other publications on campus, they are eager for writers to contribute, and this can be done by reaching out through their various social media platforms or by emailing in your ideas. If you pick up their latest issue you can read articles on topics ranging from the Troubles to Only Fans; with such a wide variety of subject matters, there really is something for everyone. The articles in MISC. are also somewhat longer than those found in the campus newspapers, allowing more space for ideas due to the larger and different format that the magazines host.

“With students at the heart of their work, TN2 focuses on all things arts and culture.”

Another popular Trinity-based magazine is TN2. With students at the heart of their work, TN2 focuses on all things arts and culture. Similarly to the College newspapers, TN2 has a wide range of subsections within the magazine, giving creative freedom to those interested. Whether you love to write about fashion, food, or film, TN2 is open to submissions and suggestions. You can either pitch your own ideas via email, or you can join the various Facebook groups and claim titles decided by the editors. Either way, writing for TN2 is yet another great way to get your work published and seen. 

It is as simple as reaching out! Whether you have ideas of your own that you want to put in writing, or you are looking for pitches to claim and elaborate on, there are many ways within college to get your writing published and seen. With such accessible and inclusive ways to stay involved, your time at Trinity might be the chance to get your ideas published.