TCDSU holds vigil at Library

The union is organising a vigil at 6pm this evening to honour the life of Mark Melnychuk

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) are holding a vigil this evening to honour a Trinity student who passed away earlier this week.

Announcing the vigil this afternoon on social media, the union said: “We’d like to invite the college community to attend a vigil this evening to honour the life of Trinity student Mark Melnychuk.”

“Our thoughts are with his family, loved ones and classmates at this time,” the post continued.

The vigil will be held this evening at 6pm, at the Berkeley Library.

The medicine student passed away on Wednesday evening in the Ussher Library.

In-person campaigning for TCDSU sabbatical elections has been suspended for the last two days as a mark of respect.

In an email to students and staff yesterday, the Senior Tutor Professor Gerry Whyte urged the College community to reach out if they are experiencing difficulties following the news.

Professor Whyte also extended College’s “deepest sympathies” to friends and family of Melnychuk.

If you have been affected by the issues discussed in this article, the following supports are available:

TCDSU Welfare Officer – [email protected]

Student Counselling Service – [email protected]

Niteline (9pm-2:30am) – niteline.ie / 1800 793 793

Crisis Text Line – 50808