Trinity professor being questioned after fatal shooting

Dr Diarmuid Rossa is a fellow of Trinity and a member of the College Board

A professor from Trinity’s School of Law is being questioned by Gardaí after a man was fatally shot in Tallaght on Tuesday (February 22), the Irish Sun has reported.

Dr Diarmuid Rossa is a Fellow of Trinity and a member of the College Board. The Irish Independent had previously reported that a “well-known legal professional” had been arrested in connection with the incident, but the Irish Sun has now named Phelan as the suspect.

An altercation occurred on farmland near Tallaght village on Tuesday, during which a local man named Keith Conlon was shot in the head. Conlon was admitted to hospital, and has since passed away.

Phelan is also a fellow of the European Law Institute. He is currently an associate professor of law.

A post-mortem examination is to be carried out by the state pathologist.

Phelan’s period of detention was extended by an additional 24 hours by a district court judge this afternoon, the Irish Sun reports.

Earlier today, Head of the School of Law Dr Caoimhín Mac Maolain emailed students in the school pertaining to “an allegation against a member of staff”.

While the email explained they “cannot comment on an ongoing investigation”, they urged students to reach out to Student Counselling Services if they needed support.

“The welfare of students and staff is our foremost concern,” the email added.

If you have been affected by the issues discussed in this article, the following supports are available:

TCDSU Welfare Officer – [email protected]

Student Counselling Service – [email protected]

Niteline (9pm-2:30am) – niteline.ie / 1800 793 793

Crisis Text Line – 50808

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.