Local residents object to plans for additional units in Trinity Hall

Objectors claim that the addition of 358 beds will worsen anti-social behaviour in the area

Residents of Dublin 6 have objected to plans to build an additional eight-storey, 358-bed residential block in Trinity Hall (Halls), saying that it will worsen the problem of drunken, disorderly, anti-social behaviour by students in the area.

“Fast track” plans lodged by College to An Bord Pleanála propose the construction of “an attractive, modern student accommodation built to best-practice for sustainable development”.

Local residents have lodged a complaint criticising the anti-social behaviour of Halls residents around Dartry Rd. and Temple Rd. They say that the addition of 358 beds in Halls will exacerbate this problem.

Noise levels in the area are also the subject of locals’ objections. One resident says that although there are around 70 houses between his residence and Halls, “we already are disturbed by the noise generated by the existing residents of Trinity Hall.”

Residents from the area around Halls have repeatedly objected to plans to construct additional units in the student accommodation complex in the past.

College was previously granted permission for the current proposal in August 2020 despite similar complaints about student behaviour. Planning permission was subsequently rescinded after this decision was challenged by a resident of Temple Rd. in the High Court.

Halls currently provides 995 spaces for Trinity students, the majority of which are allocated to first year students, along with a number of beds reserved for Scholars and members of the Irish Language Residency Scheme (An Scéim Cónaithe).

The planning application submitted by the College notes that it hopes that the construction of additional spaces “will assist in addressing the current undersupply of student accommodation in Dublin City and reduce pressure on the private rental market”.