TCDSU Council and CSC AGM fail to meet quorum

Both meetings were scheduled for this evening, but will now be postponed

The AGM of the Central Societies Committee (CSC) and a meeting of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council both failed to reach quorum this evening.

The CSC AGM would have seen the election of a new executive for the organisation for the 2022/23 academic year. Also on the agenda were a vote on the recognition of the European Law Students’ Association as a society, and changes to the CSC constitution.

With the failure to reach quorum, a future general meeting will have to be held to elect a new executive. Two week’s notice must be given of general meetings, according to the CSC constitution.

A TCDSU Council meeting this evening was also postponed due to a failure to meet quorum. According to the union’s constitution, one third of voting members must be present for a meeting to be quorate. During this year, TCDSU has treated 113 as the minimum required number. Only 84 members were present in person or via Zoom this evening.

Education Officer Bev Genockey announced that instead of the meeting, the union would conduct an “impromptu town hall” to go through the discussion items that had been on the agenda for the meeting. None of the motions scheduled for consideration were included, as Council is unable to vote except at a quorate meeting.

This evening’s Council meeting would have been the sixth of the year.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.