Part-time officers for 2022/23 elected at Council

Other positions elected this evening include Chair of Council, Commissions, three faculty convenors and the chair of Trinity BDS

The Part-Time Officers (PTOs) in Trinity College Dublin Students Union (TCDSU) for 2022/23 were elected at Council this evening.

Other positions elected this evening include Chair of Council, Commissions, three faculty convenors and Chair of Trinity Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Implementation Group (Trinity BDS).  

This was the last Council meeting of the year and there were thirty positions to contest. 

Connor Dempsey was elected Citizenship Officer. Zaid Al-Barghouthi was elected International Students Officer. Niko Singbad and Ailish Smith were elected LGBT Rights Officer and Mature Students Officer respectively. 

Rosie Joyce was elected as Officer for Students with Disabilities and Caoimhe Molloy was elected Oifigeach Na Gaeilge. Jenny Maguire will serve as Gender Equality Officer while Hannah McAuley will take up the role of Off-Campus Officer.

Mihai Mesteru will be the Ethnic Minorities Officer and Erin O’Dowd will be the Environmental Officer for next year.

Fern Kelly-Landry, Ben Heskin and Tom Comer will take up the positions of Access Officer,  Volunteer Forum Coordinator and Communities Liaison Officer respectively.

Eoghan Gilroy was elected as Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences faculty convenor. Emily Sweeney will take up the mantle of Health Sciences Convenor, while Seán Lysaght will be the next STEM Convenor.

The Chair of Council and the Electoral Commission (EC) was also elected tonight: Emma Gallagher. Secretary of Council for 2022/23 will be Maggie Larson and the rest of the EC will consist of Bev Genockey, Tara Walsh, Connor Casey and Daniel Walsh as ordinary members.

Eric Zaksauskus, Tommy Koh, Michael J. and Rian Errity were elected to the Oversight Commission. Ewan Tushkanov will be Undergraduate Studies Committee representative for next year.

Finally Zaid Al-Barghouthi was elected BDS Implementation Group Chair and László Mólnárfi was elected as Secretary.

A number of individuals were awarded honorary membership of TCDSU.  Aoife Grimes, Sexual Consent Research Assistant was recognised for her contribution to tackling problems of gender-based violence, both as Welfare Officer of the Trinity Hall Junior Common Room and Gender Equality Officer in TCDSU.

Dr Graeme Murdock of the Department of History and Dr Aidan Seery, a former Senior Tutor, were also recognised for their respective contributions to the service of students in Trinity. 

Lastly, TCDSU President Leah Keogh was nominated for honorary membership in an amendment proposed by Education Officer Bev Genockey. Keogh received a standing ovation from members of council who subsequently passed the motion.

Additional reporting by Jack Kennedy.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor