Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTÉ over platforming of “anti-trans rhetoric”

RTÉ responded to Dublin Pride’s announcement in a statement this morning

Dublin Pride has announced the end of their media partnership with RTÉ, citing the platforming of “anti-trans rhetoric” on Joe Duffy’s Liveline on RTÉ Radio 1.

Dublin Pride said it has worked with RTÉ over the last three years to “increase positive representation of LGBTQ+ people on TV, radio and online”, expressing their disappointment “to see the good work of so many people undone”.

Dublin Pride stated that they are “both angered and disappointed by the recent, unacceptable, triggering and extremely harmful anti trans ‘discussions’ that have been given a platform on Joe Duffy’s Liveline on RTÉ Radio 1.”

“We are proud members of Trans Equality Together, a new coalition led by TENI, LGBT Ireland and BeLonG To, and we are committed to accepting their lead in this issue. We have remained in close and constant contact with them throughout the last few days to ensure that any actions taken by Dublin Pride respect the voices and feelings of the trans people in our community.”

“We expect a response on how they will make amends for this situation and are committed to continuing the fight for equality, fairness and respect for all members of our LGBTQ+ family.”

RTÉ released a statement this morning in response to the announcement, saying: “Public discussion – sometimes uncomfortable, difficult, and contentious – is central to RTÉ’s prescribed purpose.”

It continued: “RTÉ is acutely aware that discussions on issues such as gender and identity are deeply personal to many. It is important we listen to them, their families and those close to them, and it is also important that we allow our audiences to engage with and understand the issues involved.”

The statement added that standing with the LGBTQ+ community during Pride month “sends an important signal that RTÉ is here to serve everyone”. RTÉ said that it has “sought to include these communities and extend understanding through a range of specially produced content, campaigns and partnerships”.

“RTÉ will continue to stand with our LGBTQ+ staff and the wider community during Pride month and beyond. In time, we hope that we will once again get the opportunity to continue to develop our partnership with Dublin Pride.”

The platforming of anti-trans rhetoric in the Irish Times is also the cause of an ongoing boycott of the paper by the Trans Writers’ Union (TWU). Many students’ unions and activist groups across Ireland have supported the TWU boycott.

Trinity News has taken an editorial stance in support of the Trans Writers’ Union campaign and severed its relationship with the Irish Times last August.