Round-up: A guide to Pride in the city

Ria Walls explores the top events happening in Dublin this weekend as Pride returns to the capital

As we swiftly approach the halfway point of 2022, the month of June is dedicated to celebrating pride. The capital hasn’t seen the streets turn rainbow-coloured since the pandemic began, so this year those celebrating are waiting in anticipation for the exciting range of events planned. Set to take over the city this weekend, Dublin Pride is one of many celebrations taking place throughout Ireland in June and July. The month is jam-packed with club nights, informative seminars and everything else in between. The LGBTQ+ community and allies come together for this annual collection of events that looks at the history, rights and lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people.

Kicking off the celebrations, Mother Club are hosting an electrifying opening party to the weekend’s events”

June 24: Mother opening party

Kicking off the celebrations, Mother Club are hosting an electrifying opening party to the weekend’s events, with Years & Years playing as part of their The Night Call Tour. Lead singer Olly Alexander recently starred in the TV series It’s A Sin, a show highlighting the HIV and AIDS crisis in the 1980s. As a gay man and an advocate of LGBTQ+ rights, he spoke about pride during his 2016 performance at Glastonbury, saying, “What I have to say is ‘I’m here, I’m queer and yes sometimes I’m afraid, but I am never ashamed because I am proud of who I am.’

Taking place on the grounds of the National Museum of Ireland, this ticketed event begins at 7pm. A night of dancing and partying is promised as this night kickstarts the first Dublin Pride in three years.

June 25: The main parade 

Event highlights of the month are happening from June 22 to 26, with Saturday June 25 being the main day to attend. To kickstart the day, QSoc are hosting a pre-Pride breakfast at 9.30am. Come along to their society room in House 6 for a feed in preparation of the big day that’s ahead. The parade and the march are occurring at the same time, before merging together. With the march acting as both a display of rights and a demonstration of solidarity, and the parade showcasing a celebration of diversity and inclusion, it is important to see both in place as they highlight the positive sense of belonging and support within the LGBTQ+ community whilst also reminding us of the external challenges still faced by the community today. The parade will see hundreds of groups taking part through floats, dancing and performances along the walk around the city.

The last pride parade to take place in Dublin was in 2019, with over 60,000 attendees – a record breaking figure.”

The last pride parade to take place in Dublin was in 2019, with over 60,000 attendees – a record breaking figure. This parade saw Gardaí and civil service workers take part for the first time and this year, Bohemians FC will become the first ever professional Irish football team to participate in Pride. 

After this, festival-goers can make their way to Merrion Square to attend Pride Village and all the exciting elements within. This council-supported event is free entry for all ages and with two stages of entertainment, the Village will be bustling with music, performances and marquees filled with food and drink. 

June 25-26: Mother block party 

Both Saturday and Sunday night, Mother returns to host back to back parties. From 4pm each day, the National Museum will host two stages as acts from Ireland and beyond put on an exciting show. Performances from drag queens such as Victoria Secret, Davina Devine and Regina George will be taking place. Musicians and DJs are providing the tunes, with Anitta, Rina Sawayama, Peaches and Le Boom being amongst the range of artists. 

The venue will have bars and food stalls scattered around, as well as other activities like art stalls. Weekend tickets are still available for €90, with Sunday only on sale for €50. 

It’s time to go out and celebrate, recollect and paint the town rainbow. Dublin’s return to pride will be one to remember.