Trinity ranked within world’s top 100 universities for first time in five years

Trinity is one of two Irish universities to have risen in the QS World University Rankings

Trinity has ranked within the world’s top 100 universities for the first time in five years.

Trinity has risen to 98th place on the top 100 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings, marking the first time in five years that Trinity or any other Irish university has been in the top 100 universities.

Trinity previously dropped from the top 100 in 2018, where it fell from 88th to 108th place. It was ranked 101st in both 2020 and 2021.

In a statement this evening, Provost Linda Doyle considered the implications of this ranking: “We are delighted to be back in the top 100 in the QS World University Rankings. This is great news for Ireland’s global reputation.”

“Rankings have shortcomings in how they measure all that is happening in a university, but they are watched closely internationally” she continued. “It is hugely important for Trinity and for Ireland that we are in the top 100.”

Doyle also set her sights on improvements for future rankings: “Further government funding to tackle our staff-student ratio is key to ensuring we remain in the top 100.”

“While I welcome the government’s recent “Funding the Future” announcement, this must now be delivered upon. Investment in third-level education benefits our students and our society.”

Dublin City University (DCU) is the only other Irish university to have risen in the rankings, increasing from 490th to 471st place.

University College Dublin (UCD) remains the second highest performing university after Trinity and has fallen from 173rd place to 181st.

National University of Ireland Galway (NUI Galway) fell from 258th to 270th, though it ranked above Trinity in the area of staff-to-student ratio at 183rd for small class sizes.

University College Cork (UCC) fell from 298th place to 303rd place, while University of Limerick (UL) fell from the 501-510 to the 531-540 ranked group.

Maynooth University fell from the 751-800 rankings to 801-1000, while Technological University Dublin (TUD) remains in the 801-1000.

The annual QS World University Rankings is the most-widely read university rankings in the world. QS uses six indicators to rank 1,418 higher education institutions from across 100 locations across the globe: international student ratio, international faculty ratio, faculty per student ratio, citations per faculty, academic reputation, and employer reputation.

Trinity was ranked the top performing university for research output and international reputation.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology remains the top ranked university in the world, while the University of Cambridge overtook the University of Oxford as the second highest ranked university.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor