Harris announces €40 million for “greener and more accessible” colleges

The funding is allocated for investments to support universal access, energy efficiency and decarbonisation upgrades, and general ICT and equipment-related upgrades

Government has announced an extra €40 million for third level institutions this week.

Earlier this week, Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science Simon Harris announced the funding for the purposes of making higher education institutions “greener” and more accessible.

In a press release, Harris said: “I’m delighted to announce a significant devolved capital grant for the higher education sector to support a range of capital priorities.”

“Our third level sector faces significant challenges in responding to climate objectives and this fund will assist with making energy upgrades.”

The funding is allocated for investments to support universal access, energy efficiency and decarbonisation upgrades, general ICT and equipment-related upgrades.

Harris continued: “It will also ensure our campuses are inclusive and accessible. The funding can be used to make the necessary upgrades to make campuses accessible for people with disabilities but it can also be used to help students to access laptops or other ICT requirements.”

“The funding forms part of ongoing investment in the higher education sector under Project Ireland 2040 and reaffirms a strong commitment to public investment in higher education infrastructure,” Harris concluded.

The €40 million will also be used for health and safety works, and other building upgrades, alongside minor works and equipment.

Funding will be provided through the Higher Education Authority (HEA) for all technological universities, institutes of technology and smaller colleges, except for the Royal Irish Academy of Music (RIAM) and the Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies (DIAS), who will be funded directly by the department.

Grant funding for the coming academic year is being extended to RIAM and DIAS for the first time.