An emotional performance that mirrors the fears of our generation

Emma Lueders reviews Eruption Collection’s new production Everything is Grand and I’m Completely Okay

Through a powerful portrayal of grief and growing up, Everything is Grand and I’m Completely Okay beautifully captures a snapshot of contemporary life as a young Irish adult. Reeling from the loss of his brother and the recent passing of his twenty-fifth birthday, Malachy (played by Conor Burke) is forced to come to terms with everything that is and is not okay in his life. Directly addressing the audience, he divulges his worries through his relationships with his friends, co-workers and family members.

The first production by the new theatre company Eruption Collective is an engaging and passionate performance, with provocative writing and skilful production transporting the audience into Malachy’s mind. The play ran from August 8 to 18 in Smock Alley Theatre following its sold-out run at The Hope Theatre in London.

With the progression of the play, his relationship with the audience becomes more transparent and honest, allowing cracks of reality to seep into the dialogue rather than his solely defensive version of events.

The play sees Malachy take an approach similar to stand-up comedy as he explains the twenty-five pieces of life advice that he has learned until now. At the age of 25, he has found himself living at home with his parents, working in a call centre for a bin company and single. He explores many of these life situations through anecdotes of his family members, his friend Pauline and his work managers. Malachy appeals to his audience as he explores themes relatable to many young Irish adults: fears of the worsening housing crisis, stagnating in a customer service role and coming out as gay to family members. With the progression of the play, his relationship with the audience becomes more transparent and honest, allowing cracks of reality to seep into the dialogue rather than his solely defensive version of events.

Burke’s witty writing, which blends together light-hearted banter and serious themes, was further brought to life by his emotive acting style.

Defining himself as an upbeat and fun person, Malachy claims to want to keep the tone of the conversation light. However, as more serious matters become inescapable, the impact of these issues on him becomes clear. He is determined not to dwell on the recent death of his brother, yet Malachy is forced to process what has happened as it becomes an unavoidable presence in his life. An emotional and engaging direct narrative, the audience cannot help but be engrossed as Malachy processes all that he has experienced and lived through.

Written and performed by Conor Burke, Everything is Grand marks another outstanding production by Burke. The play marks Burke’s fifth production to be brought to life, receiving support from the Dublin Fringe Festival as part of the Fringe Lab 50 programme. Burke’s witty writing, which blends together light-hearted banter and serious themes, was further brought to life by his emotive acting style.

If Burke’s play is any indication of the direction Eruption Collective intends to take, the new production company will have a very successful future ahead of them.

The play is directed by Lesley Conroy, an alumnus of the Samuel Beckett Centre, and light and sound is by recent Lir Academy graduate Aidan Cooney. Produced by Lisa Nally, the creative team have gelled together flawlessly to create a show that moves beyond the borders of the stage. With subtle use of lighting and sound, the audience is transported into the different atmospheres and settings used in the play. If Burke’s play is any indication of the direction Eruption Collective intends to take, the new production company will have a very successful future ahead of them.