Kerry, Carlow and Wexford hurling championships completed

Ferns win first senior title while St Mullin’s beat Bagnalstown by 17 points

Ferns overcame the 2019 champions St. Martins of Murntown to claim their first Senior Wexford championship 2 weeks ago in Wexford Park.

Ferns have added a senior title to their five junior title (last won in 1958) and six intermediate titles (last won in 2007), as well as two junior football titles won in 1952 and 1993.

As Ferns wing back Patrick Breen reminded everyone after the match “we’ve never won a senior title but we’ve lost a lot of finals”.

A late rally from St. Martins threatened to force Ferns to wait for their historic first title. Late in the game, a foul on Daithí Watters resulted in St. Martins cutting Ferns’ lead to one point. However, Johnny Dwyer hit a point from a sideline cut 5 minutes into injury time to keep Ferns’ one point lead.

“We won’t be short of a few parties tonight in Ferns, I can guarantee you that,” Breen said after the final.

I’m sure they weren’t.

Elsewhere p, 2019 winners Causeway beat Ballyduff in a match that saw the first time a referee was mic’d up in a GAA match, with viewers of the live broadcast on TG4 being able to hear everything the referee said. 

While Ballyduff managed to come within one point of Causeway in the second half, Causeway held on, with an injury-time goal by Brandon Barret keeping Ballyduff at arm’s length.

In Carlow town, St Mullin’s beat Bagnelstown Gaels by 17 points to claim their 28th title. Having being runners up to the Leinster final in 2019 and losing last year’s Carlow County final, hopes will be high for the historically strong St Mullin’s club.

Wexford SHC: Ferns St. Aidan’s 1-20 – 0-22 St Martin’s

Carlow SHC: Bagnelstown Gaels 0-11 – 2-22 St Mullin’s

Kerry SHC: Ballyduff 0-16 – 2-15 Causeway