College Camogie round-up

DU Camogie have had a respectable start to their 2022/23 campaign, with their League games yielding some impressive performances

Training recommenced a few weeks into term, and Club Captain Claire McNamara stressed how impressed she was with the number of fresher sign-ups who made the commitment to the biweekly journeys to Santry Sports Grounds, joining the established members of the squad. Under new leadership in the shape of new manager John Curran, Trinity headed to their first match, away to SETU Carlow, on October 18.

Unfortunately, the team faced a  disappointing loss to a very strong Carlow team, managed by Kilkenny stalwarts Ann and Angela Downey. However, some impressive individual performances gave reason to believe that the team could refocus and move forward positively, most notably from fresher Yvonne Stack at corner-back and Chloe Farragher in the forwards, who netted a tidy 2-01.

Trinity faced TUS Athlone next, and with home advantage the match was played in Santry. A quality battle between two well-matched teams followed, and the game finished in a draw at 1-08 to 0-11. With premier performances from Aisling Prendergast, Molly Walsh and Player of the Match Aoife Mahon in particular, the team were able to step on with confidence before the final match of the group stages against DCU 2’s.

Trinity faced TUS Athlone next, and with home advantage the match was played in Santry. A quality battle between two well-matched teams followed, and the game finished in a draw at 1-08 to 0-11.

Between the results of the various matches and the score differences the four teams in the group were on, the last game was a must-win for Trinity; a loss would have sent the team into a relegation final, whereas a win (depending on score difference) could have sent them into a League semi-final. Correspondingly, a strong week’s training was put in by the squad before they headed to Drumcondra on November 1, knowing it was all to play for.

The team’s game of the year was duly performed, and with a scoreline of 5-10 to 1-02 it was a comprehensive and commanding victory for Trinity. With outstanding performances across the squad, from veteran Aoife Higgins to new starter Meadhbh Ní Cheallacháin, it unfortunately wasn’t enough to secure a semi-final spot as TUS Athlone finished higher on score difference.

Regardless, it was a campaign built on an upwards trajectory for Trinity, and with a favourable draw for the group stages of Championship coming up, hopes are high for a successful season. Depending upon their position in the group at the end of January, teams will then face either a relegation final, Shield final or will make it to Ashbourne Weekend on February 10-12, where the semi-finals and finals for Division 1-5 of third-level Colleges camogie are played out over three days.

Trinity’s next match will be held away on November 29 to UCC 2’s.

Jane Prendergast

Jane Prendergast is Co-Sports Editor of Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister student of Law.