Professor Dónall Mac Dónaill appointed Junior Dean

Mac Dónaill has previously served as Assistant Junior Dean and succeeds Professor Phillip Coleman in the role

The appointment of new Junior Dean Professor Dónall Mac Dónaill was approved yesterday by the Board of Trinity College at its regular monthly meeting.

In an email sent to College staff and students this evening informing them of the appointment, Provost Linda Doyle said that Mac Dónaill “brings a wealth of experience to the role of Junior Dean”.

Mac Dónaill has previously served as Assistant Junior Dean from 2019 to 2021 and has acted as pro-Junior Dean on multiple occasions. He is the current Registrar of Chambers and has worked as a College Tutor since 2014.

Mac Dónaill has been a professor in the School of Chemistry since 1986 and is currently an associate professor in advanced materials.

Doyle went on to wish Mac Dónaill well in his new role.

Mac Dónaill replaces Professor Phillip Coleman, who has served as Junior Dean since 2020. The Provost thanked Coleman “for his many years of dedicated service”, adding that “he has made an enormous contribution to our Trinity community”.

The Junior Dean is responsible for the “general oversight of student conduct”.

The Junior Dean’s Office, which is comprised of the dean and their assistants, has the authority to impose sanctions upon students ranging from a fine to expulsion depending on the severity of the offence.