TCDSU to hold referendum on support for Sports Centre charge

If passed, the referendum would mean that TCDSU would cease to support the charge until all booking, equipment and class fees are abolished.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) is to hold a referendum on whether to make their support for the Annual Sports Centre charge conditional on the abolition of all booking, equipment and class fees in the centre.

Voting in the referendum begins online on Monday, January 30 and closes on Wednesday, February 1. Students must be registered in order to vote and can do so online.

TCDSU currently supports the collection of the €120 annual charge, with the provision that students in financial hardship are exempt, and that it is overseen by the students’ union and the Senior Tutor’s office. These provisions will remain in place regardless of the outcome of the referendum.

If passed, the referendum would mean that TCDSU would cease to support the charge until extra fees are abolished.

As a long-term policy (LTP), the referendum requires 60% of students’ to vote in its favour to pass. The current LTP to support the charge was passed in 2015, when it was increased from €90 to €120, and requires a referendum to be changed.

Currently, all “wellness courses”, including pilates and yoga, are €55 per term for a student, while swimming classes are €120 per student.

Voter registration for the referendum closes tomorrow at 5pm.