Trinity Meteors set sights on first national title in 27 years

The team have won 10 out of 11 matches throughout the season, including against tomorrow’s opponents Killester Basketball Club

Trinity Meteors are to compete against Killester Basketball Club tomorrow in the hopes of their first national title since 1996.

The women’s basketball team progressed to the Paudie O’Connor National Cup final after a 82-60 win over DCU Mercy last weekend.

The semi-final match saw a 24-point and 13-rebound performance from Ireland international player Dayna Finn, who was named a Trinity Sport Scholar in November.

Speaking during the week, Finn said that the team has “started to gel together” more than ever as they prepare for the final of the Basketball Ireland Women’s Super League.

The team are currently joint top of the league, having won 10 out of their 11 matches, including one against their opponents tomorrow from Killester.

“It’s great to be in a national cup final, and great for Trinity Meteors as it’s the first time we’ve been in this position since 1996.”

The team also features international team members Sarah Kenny, who was also named a Sport Scholar, and Claire Melia.

“It’s one of the biggest weekends in Irish Basketball and to have TG4 broadcast the game makes it even better, I’m really excited for the game,” Finn added.

Meteors head coach Niall Berry echoed Finn’s enthusiasm, saying “the energy is good in the training camp”.

Berry added that despite “a few tough training sessions” at the beginning of the season, “everyone has bought into what we’re trying to do as a team”.

“Everything we’re doing is geared towards being successful this season, so this weekend is nothing different – we’re just trying to win the next game ahead of us.”

Berry credited the team’s success to the strength of its players: “As a coach you’re always trying to put your players in the best position to be successful – you can give them a framework and a style of play but ultimately, they go out on the court, and they are the ones being successful week in and week out.”

He added that “next game” mentality had been the goal throughout the season: “If you win the game ahead of you, you will be in a good position as the season progresses. That’s the mentality within the team now and the players have instilled that within themselves.”

“The goal for the season is to win the next game and it just so happens that if we win the next game, we will be National Champions.”

The Paudie O’Connor Cup final will take place tomorrow January 22 at the National Basketball Arena and will be broadcast live on TG4 and basketballireland.tv with tip-off at 17.30pm.

David Wolfe

David Wolfe is a Junior Sophister student of History and Political Science. He is the current Social Media and Managing Editor of Trinity News, having previously served as News Editor, Assistant News Editor and copyeditor.