TCDSU to introduce emergency food voucher scheme for students struggling with food poverty

The scheme is to be run in partnership with Capital Credit Union

Trinity College Dublin Student Union (TCDSU) has announced the introduction of a food voucher scheme to “to support students struggling with food poverty”.

The announcement on the union’s Instagram page, cited the cost of living crisis for the introduction of the scheme, which is a partnership with Capital Credit Union.

“The increasing cost of living is disproportionately affecting students with high rents and inflation. This has led to many students struggling financially and not being able to afford basic groceries.”

The monetary vouchers aim to give students “autonomy” to choose the grocery items themselves, rather than “being left with items that they may not need or want”.

The announcement continued: “We hope that it will reassure students who are anxious about how they will afford to eat that day or that week. It is unacceptable that people are struggling to buy basic staples – we have had more and more students asking for help, saying that they are skipping meals or lectures because they can’t afford to travel into the city. This isn’t normal. Every person should have enough to survive.”

James Liston, Business Development Manager for Capital Credit Union added that the partnership hopes to “provide stability and additional help to students”.

“We have worked with Student Unions for many years, especially for our Education Scholarship, and we can see the increasing pressure that students are under. As a Credit Union, we are focused on the economic and social well-being of our members, and this is a unique opportunity to support third-level students,” Liston said.

TCDSU thanked Liston, saying he has been “a great advocate for students in the Credit Union”.

The emergency food vouchers can be acquired from the TCDSU Welfare & Equality Officer Chloe Staunton.

Faye Madden

Faye Madden is an Assistant News Editor for the 69th volume of Trinity News.