Twelve College research projects granted Irish Research Council funding

The New Foundations programme seeks to assist government policy development funding research into national challenges

Twelve Trinity research projects have been granted funding from the Irish Research Council’s (IRC) New Foundations programme.

The programme seeks to assist government policy development by providing funding for research into issues facing the country.

Sixty-seven projects have been granted funding from the programme this week with those in Trinity including projects related to Alzheimer’s research as well as a research review of the Area Based Childhood (ABC) programme.

The programme will benefit all three of the university’s faculties with funding being granted to projects from the School of English to the School of Medicine. Provost Linda Doyle welcomed the awards, stating: “I warmly congratulate our twelve researchers on securing IRC New Foundations awards.”

Doyle continued: “These awards are an important opportunity for researchers to contribute evidence-based policymaking to society on a range of national and global challenges.”

The IRC’s New Foundations programme hopes to not only provide funding for new research but also to create better connections between researchers, government, and civic society organisations.

Doyle commented on these relationships, saying: “The New Foundations research funding programme aims to bring researchers together with civic society and Government departments to collaborate on projects that will have a tangible impact on societal issues.”

The IRC Director Dr Louise Callinan reaffirmed the importance of cooperation between researchers and policymakers stating: “The collaboration between researchers and policymakers represented in these awards aligns with the ambitions of Impact 2030: Ireland’s Research and Innovation Strategy to strengthen evidence-based policymaking and deliver enhanced outcomes for citizens and society.”

“While New Foundations awards are relatively modest in value, they play a vital role in supporting and nurturing our research talent, providing an important step on the funding ladder to further awards nationally and internationally,” she continued.

Further information about the Irish Research Council and the New Foundations programme can be found on research.ie

Alan Nolan Wilson

Alan Nolan Wilson is the current News Analysis Editor of Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister Geography and History student. He previously served as Correspondent for College.