James Carey elected JCR President

Leah Malone was elected Vice President, with Paul McConkey elected secretary

James Carey has been elected as the 2023-24 Trinity Hall Junior Common Room (JCR) President, along with a new team of officers.

Carey, a mathematics and economics student from Co. Meath, was elected on the first count with 69.38% of first preference votes, beating Divyum Singhal and Yvonne Stack who received 13.55% and 15.72% of the votes respectively.

Speaking to Trinity News, Carey said that he is “looking forward to working with all of the newly elected officers to do our very best for next year’s residents”, and thanked both his campaign team and the Trinity Hall (Halls) community for the “enthusiasm” and “emphatic support” received.

Leah Malone, a business and German student from Kilkenny, was elected on the first count as Vice President/Treasurer, with plans to revise ticket costs for JCR club nights and increase the budget for JCR welfare events. As the sole candidate, Malone received 89.38% of votes in her race.

Paul McConkey was elected to the role of secretary, having received 45% of first preference votes. With candidate John Crofton eliminated on the first count, McConkey beat Caoimhe Howley on the second count.

Emer Munnelly was elected as the new Welfare officer, over Theresa Sweeney, on the first count, with 77.6% of votes. As current first year rep on the TCDSU Welfare and Equality Committee, Munnelly has promised “fast response time” to problems on JCR nights out, as well as a variety of new events, such as sex education workshops, study sessions and “hangover brunches”.

Peadar Walsh was elected Ents officer with 88.12%, in a race that was uncontested. In his manifesto, Walsh highlights the importance of drug safety and consent education in Halls, planning workshops and information campaigns for residents. Walsh also highlights the importance of fruitful collaborations with the Welfare team.

Also in an uncontested race, Caroline Sander from the US, became International Officer with 79.52% of the votes. Promising an “unforgettable” international trip, Sander plans to celebrate cultural diversity at Halls, with many multicultural holidays and events.

Sole candidate James McDermott was Sports Officer with 91.25% of votes, the highest proportion in any race. McDermott plans on increasing integration of international students in Gaelic sports, such as hurling and Gaelic football. McDermott also highlights the importance of building community at Halls, with activities such as weekly “Halls runs”.

Katie Brady was elected Music Officer in a four-way race, winning 49.53% of first preference votes. She was elected on the third count, beating candidates Naoise Barrett, Mimi Savage, and Evie Gibbs.

The JCR acts as a representative body for residents of Halls. It provides student-directed services and organises social events, as well as seeking to “represent Halls students’ needs within College, Halls and the Rathmines area”.

Halls currently accommodates 995 Trinity students, primarily first years, as well as a number of beds reserved for third-year scholars and members of the Irish Language Residency Scheme (An Scéim Cónaithe).

It is also home to the Trinity Hall Junior Common Room (JCR), a representative body for Halls residents, and the JCR Welfare Team.

Additional reporting by David Wolfe.

Sofia Ferrari Bravo

Sofia Ferarri Bravo is the Deputy News Analysis Editor for the 69th issue of Trinity News.